Before you decide to clean your carpets you'll need to determine which method you prefer.
What is Dry Carpet Cleaning?
Dry carpet cleaning is a dry method in which cleaning pads are soaked in a chemical cleaning solution and squeezed onto the carpet in a light manner in order to clean the dirt and dust off the carpets. Since this method does not require long drying times it is gaining popularity.
What is Wet Carpet Cleaning?
Many professionals use a wet method to Clean Carpet by shampooing with cold or warm water (warm is better), agitating the surface and extracting the water.
Here are the necessary steps to clean your carpet.
- First of all, purchase a good quality cleaning product from your local home supply store. It does not necessarily have to be a dry powder. It can also be an absorbent formulation prepared with water, solvent, and laundry soap in specific amounts.
- Before you begin, vacuum the rug properly, reaching the corners as well. Vacuuming gets rid of 80 percent of the dust and similar particles adhering to the carpet.
- Sprinkle the powder or spray the solution (whichever is applicable) as per the directions mentioned on the label. Leave the product on the carpet for the stipulated time―this enables the chemical to go deep inside the rug fibers and absorb the contaminants. Use a professional product like the Mytee 8070 Lite for best results.
- For removing stains, you can use a soft-bristled brush, or a clean broom. Using any of these, spread the product throughout the rug to reach the deeper fibers. It will adhere to the dirt, which can then be removed by vacuum cleaning.
- Another advanced technique that can be used is the cotton bonnet technique. For this, you will need to rent or purchase a machine that has rotating pads. A cleaning solution is fed to the spinning pads, which then separate contaminants from the rug fibers. The final cleaning is done with the help of a vacuum cleaner.
Shampooing method can be done by applying a pre-conditioning shampoo to the carpet. This helps to liquefy soil and oil-based stains. The machine sprays a cleaning solvent onto the carpet and then sucks it back up along with all the dirt and allergens. This solution helps remove of soil deep within the carpet fibers. This is also a great way to get a much deeper clean than vacuuming. Procedures are specified below:
- Remove furniture from the room, vacuum carefully, and spot treat stains before you shampoo.
- Fill the machine with the proper amounts of soap and water.
- Run the shampooer in a pattern across the room, making sure to go slowly.
- Pay attention to when the dirty water tank is full.
- After you shampoo, it is good to run the machine once again with cold water and no soap.
- Always let the carpet dry completely before putting furniture back and walking on it.
Hot Water Extraction:
Hot Water Extraction is the most used method in cleaning the carpet and it is most recommended by carpet makers.The hot water solution is forced into the carpet along with high amount of pressure, which is again sucked up out of the carpet with the dirt particles in the carpet. It is also known as steam cleaning, or warm water extraction method.
What is the estimated time in doing Professional Carpet Cleaning?
Professional carpet cleaning time varies depending on the surface area of the carpet. Just make sure you leave enough time for setup and removal of the machine and in-between time to refill the water if needed and time to clean the machine afterwards.